Re: Fw: cost of coggins

In a message dated 98-05-13 13:03:02 EDT, Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<<  Sad thing is the labs only charge $2.50 to run a coggins for the vets! Boy
 > do
 > they sure make out on that!
 > Becky

WHERE???  The Oregon State Dept. of Agriculture Lab charges $6.00.  It costs
me almost $4.00 to UPS a sample over to them.  Add a needle, syringe, and
blood tube.  Then not only do I have to draw the blood sample (the quickest
part with all but the worst of horses), I have to fill in a form with
addresses, markings, description, etc.  (Next time you think this is swift,
come along with me to the Paint farms I deal with!)  By the time I do the
paperwork and package the sample for shipping, I have a heck of a lot of time
into it.  Certainly it is a bit better for multiple samples.  I only charge
the client $20.00.  I could make better money pulling green chain at the mill,
thank you kindly.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)