Re: Great truck stop--Trailer saftey

Hello ridecampers!
Just got back from riding a horse Im selling and killing time before I ride my
REAL horse.( The sale horse is an appy, out of a qtrhorse, no offense, but
cantering a low-headed, slow critter in circles around the arena is not my
idea of real riding)  Anyone interested in a GORGEOUS reg. palomino gelding
please email me for details.

About trailer safety:
Do NOT forget to periodically check the tightness of your lug nuts!
Especially if you do alot of rough road hauling.
Last fall at the Oregon 100 I discovered (after the race) that one of the rear
wheels was about to FALL OFF.  I had sheared off 3 lugs, worn the wheel holes
and the hub. This of course was at 3pm on a saturday about 40 miles out of
Bend.
So I very quickly pulled off the wheel ( two more lugs broke as I unbolted the
wheel) and the hub ( much to the dismay of a freinds boyfreind,who found it
appalling to stand there with a beer in his hand while I played mechanic)
threw it in the truck, unhitched the trailer and broke all land speed records
getting to Bend before 5pm.  There I sweet-talked the machinist at the NAPA
into a little overtime to press in new lugs, bought lug nuts and got ready to
drive back to camp.
Then he says " Are there any men out there in your camp?" and I'm thinking
" Why, are you going to come out and hit on all of us, or what?"  " yeah, I
said, there are men in camp, Why?" And he says " Well, I just wanted to know
if there was someone there to put this back on for you." So I looked him in
the eye and said" who do you think pulled it off to get it here?" Then he got
all sheepish and apolagized all over himself,( although he just couldnt resist
showing me which way the lug nuts were supposed to go)
So I got everything back together just fine, and the spare was in good working
order. But I shudder to think what could have happened if that wheel had come
off at 60 on the freeway!
A trucker freind of mine told me afterwards that lugnuts will come loose on
bumpy roads ( where I do most of my hauling) and that it doesnt take but a few
miles to start shearing lugs etc.
So you can bet I check my lugs all the time now!
Julie and Rayna  (Hey Mom, whats that funny shimmy?)