Re: Stallions in Endurance

In a message dated 98-05-12 22:21:01 EDT, Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<< Angie Orr wrote:

 > What does anyone or everyone :) think about riding a stallion in
 > endurance.  He is well broke, however has not had a lot of experience
 > around other horses.  He is not hot and has a good mind.  What are some
 > of the precautions that those of you that ride stallions have to deal
 > with?  I know the obvious but, don't want to miss anything and would
 > appreciate your advice. >>

I apparently missed Angie's original post, but having ridden several stallions
over the years, I obviously think that it is quite do-able to ride stallions
in endurance.

I would agree with Teddy that stallions do not like to be pushed.  Some are
more competitive than others, but almost all are self-preservationists.  You
may be able to sweet-talk more out of them, but you cannot push more out of
them.

The main thing about riding a stallion is to have the innate ability to know
who is where around you at all times.  This ties in a lot with the recent
kicking posts--if you ALWAYS know where other horses are in relationship to
your horse, you can prevent most problems from occurring.  With a well-broke
stallion, it is not necessary to avoid crowds, but it IS necessary to occupy
his mind with things to think about other than reproduction.  When one rides a
stallion a lot, this becomes second nature--talking to him, cuing him to do
particular things, etc., so that his mind does not have an empty time to
wander.  In vet lines, it is often a simple thing--someone jams in front of
you, so you quietly and calmly do a quarter turn so that the other horse's
butt is not aimed straight at your stallion's nose.  I also make sure I am
always in a position to be in control.  If it means having a chain or a crop,
so be it.  I get REALLY aggravated at people who try to "show off" their
stallions' dispositions by going around with no headstall after a ride,
etc.--I have guys I could likely get away with that most of the time, too, but
it only takes one slip-up to cause a tragic accident.  Actually, the things I
do to make sure my stallion is a safe and polite horse in company could and
should be applied to ALL horses.

One thing that REALLY pushes my buttons is seeing people stand idly gabbing
and paying little attention to their stallion, and then when he stands there
daydreaming and gets an erection, they have a big fit and punish his penis.
It is his MIND that wandered, and it is the fault of the handler for not
keeping his mind occupied, or keeping him in a situation where his mind CAN be
kept occupied.  If an erection occurs, just quietly walk him off, cue him to
do something else so that he has something else to think about, and the
problem will vanish.

Also, make sure your stallion is used to being in company before coming to an
endurance ride.  Angie, it sounds like yours aleady is.

I really enjoy the stallions, and have more youngsters waiting in the wings to
become endurance stallions.  As a breeder, my geldings are for sale, and my
best mares don't get long careers because I believe that they should be
contributing to the future gene pool.  Hence, if I am going to ride, it is
good that I enjoy my stallions.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)