Re: Heartrate Threshold

>Frank:
>
>Thanks for the reply.  This horse is off the track, I don't have much info
on him yet.  He just turned 7 and is a big muscular guy.  I use the same
monitor and saddle on 4 horses.  I can get him up to 230 anytime and only
let him get to the 240 once.  Scared me, although he still wanted to go.  I
am going to try my other monitor and change positions of the electrodes and
see if I can duplicate it.  But, I still did not get my question answered
about theshold. Is there a relationship between max heart rate and anearobic
threshold\?

>>> A heartrate of 240 is generally considered to be approaching fibrillation in
>>> the horse. I think you're getting a bad reading. Thoroughbreds race in
record
>>> time with heartrates in the 216 to 222 range.
>>>
>>> ti
>>
>>Are you sure, Tom ?
>>
>>With my horse Ligeira, a partbred arab, I read a 235-238 max. on hills
over the
>>years, when she gives 100% (a screaming fast horse and has a heart and
fights like
>>a lion).
>>My younger horse, Natasha, I stopped her recently around 212-215 for some
hundred
>>yards on my long hill, and I feel she was about 90-95% of her WORKmax, so I
>>suggest her HRmax. is not far below 235. All these measurements looked quite
>>stable (HRM model: V-MAX EHRM basic). Of course they can be inaccurate
>>nevertheless, but I never had unreasonable readings such as >250.
>>I suggest there are some elite athletes out there with a HRmax. of +-240.
Other
>>experiences ?
>>
>>regards from old Europe
>>
>>Frank Mechelhoff (Germany)
>>

>><< So, what would it mean if he realy is pumping at 245, down to 110 in 60
> sec., this on a 1/8 mile hill climb.  If the HR monitor is correct, is this
> good or is this bad??
>  >>

>I'd say it's bad. The very highest measured heartrate in a science paper is
>240 in a Standardbred in the ,middle of a very high intensity interval
>workout.
>
>However, there is another possibility--that at some point the monitor is
>picking up both sides of the heartbeat--big heart. I'd try placing the
>electrodes in different positions.
>
>ti

Chris Martin
Nitram, Inc.