Chafing and Boots

I've had a real problem with chafing along the inside of my knee and
where my leathers cross over my shin. Years of riding youngsters off
the track with short irons??  Switching from an English saddle to a
Sports Saddle really helped eliminate the problem.  The fenders add
protection but, in addition, it seemed to reposition my leg with less
knee "grip".  If you are riding in an English type saddle you should
check to make sure that you have the thinnest possible leathers,
which usually means the highest quality.  You will then have less of
a lump under your leg.

    I have experimented with various techniques to deal with the
chafing once it occurs and, after much scarring,  have found that the
best solution - by far- is to use Spenco brand Second Skin pads.
These are gel type pads that can be cut to size that are then covered
with a thin adhesive bandage that really stays put.  Using these pads
allows me to continue riding and the skin is kept moist and clean
underneath, and heals very quickly.

As far as shoes or boots are concerned, you can try the trail running
shoes that are manufactured by Nike.  There is one model with a high
top and one with a medium high top.  Particularly nice if you like to
also run portions of the trail.  They offer good stability and
traction.
Beth
in New York