Trail food & riding tights

>  I was wondering if any of you used the electrolyte cookie
>mixwithout the electrolytes and add some dried chopped alfalfa to them
>for feeding on the trail?

Hi Cheryl:

You could try it.  I know from experience that mine probably wouldn't touch
them...not on a real endurance ride <g>.  I find that apples and carrots
usually work well. It might take some time experimenting with Blue to find
out what he will eat during a ride.

>I also wonder if I put my carbo loader in a cookie instead of giving it
>to him in a syringe would the heat from baking it effect the efficiency
>of the loader?  Any ideas group???/

You can try it.  Again, my horses probably wouldn't be interested in it at
a ride.  But yours might!  If I could get mine to eat grain during the
ride, then I wouldn't be using the syringe to give the carbohydrates.
Oftentimes, by putting stuff in their feed at vet checks it will cause them
to get picky.  Stick with what works, and if you introduce something new do
it in addition to (as a second choice) what is already there.  Oh, and
don't get too excited if your horse eats anything and everything on a
training ride...I still have not to this day been able to get either horse
to even LOOK at a bucket with soaked beet pulp in it at a ride.  No problem
eating it at home.  <sigh>

Just a quick story...at the last ride we were about 70 miles into it and
stopped at a number check.  Let the horses eat hay, drink and have some
apples and carrots for awhile. (oh, okay, and us riders ate cookies and
drank lemonade!) ;=) Then we we went to leave the rider I was with (Hi
Hugh, if you are out there!) handed me a whole flake of hay after I
mounted.  I looked at him and said (stupid now that I think about it!)
"what do I do with this"...and he said "feed it to your horse".  Well,
okay...so we take off trotting...and guess what...that darn horse ate that
whole flake of hay.  I have often hand fed hay while leading (on foot) a
horse out of a vet check...but this was the first time I've done it at a
trot, from his back! <vbg>  So if your horse will eat...feed 'em!!!

btw, easy boot bags (Griffins makes them in colors) are excellent for
carrying syringes and horse treats in them.  They usually can go right on
top of your existing saddle packs.  I have modified mine by adding those
little plastic cinch things so I don't have to tie and untie the bag
closed.  I have found that it is always better to bring more than you think
you will need, then to find yourself out there longer than you thought and
not have something!

On the subject of tights (sorry...I had previously done a post and dummy me
hit the 'trash' button instead of 'send' - aren't you glad I do that
often?) <vbg>.  I have a pair of saddlebums...they are nice, but have WAY
too much padding (for me)...I feel like I'm riding in a diaper.  I have
found that sometimes, less is better.  I have been making my own tights to
get them exactly how I want.  I think I've finally gotten the knee patches
perfected..if anybody wants a more detailed description of the pattern,
feel free to e-mail me.  I understand that SuitAbility has discontinued
their riding tights pattern....so if you go to buy a pattern make sure you
get one that doesn't have the seems on the inside of the leg.  Polar-fleece
works perfectly as an inner-knee lining, and ultrasuede is nice for the
outside.   Long cotton knee socks work great to prevent any rubbing on the
lower leg.  (the wool cover on my saddle helps too)

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville (West Region)
& Weaver, 1505 miles