Gut motility

What's that all about?If you were feeding little or no grain during
your events,would you still need to keep a little hay going through
anyway for some reason?And,is it true one must never grain a horse
without some accompanying hay/roughage?I have only attended one endurance
event,and that was as a spectator at the '97 OD100.I was surprised at the
amount of lunch given the horses at the halfway vet check.Big meals!