multi-days

Hi LuAnn

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on when a horse is ready for a 5 day, depending on what your goals are for the ride. BAsed on what you said I think if your horse has already done 50s you know how he handles that in terms of eating/drinking etc.

I think the best way to go into the multiday is just to consider it one day at a time especially on a relatively inexperienced horse.  If you do all 5 days fine, if not just do what you and your horse can do,  every other day, etc. You don' ride a multi day like a one day 50.  The pace is much slower so it's a good learning experince for your horse however many days he completes. One of the  important things is how well your horse eats and drinks and takes care of himself  as is able to pack enough groceries to replenish day after day. Many horses learn to do this better as they get into a 5 day.

Jerry and I plan to go and take 2 horses who have only done one  50.  One is 5 and the other 10.  So we will go very slow and see how the horses do and feel and decide each day whether we'll ride. You are welcome to ride with us and see how it goes.

As far as Easy Boots.  I don't lknow the ride, but it depends on the terrain.  If you do decide then one pair whould last the entire ride and would be best if they were foamed on.  If you've never used the foam Jerry could show you how to do that if that's what you decide.  If your horse has any tendency for foot soreness then it would be a good idea...can't hurt.  A lot of people also use pads on a multi-day.  Ride management would have good input on this.

Good luck, see you there.

Bernita Barfield
Southwind Arabians
Sierra Vista,AZ