multi-days

Hi Ridecampers,

 I am considering going to the Ft. Shellbourne XP ride coming up in
June. This would be my and my horse's first multi-day (Not our first
50s). My concern is making sure my horse is ready to complete five days.
This would be at a slow to moderate pace and with the understanding that
each day is taken one at a time. I'm a conservative rider and I don't
want my ignorance to cause my mare any harm.
 For those of you who have completed multis, how did you know your horse
was ready to try? Did you set up criteria for your horse before
entering? Was there a minimum number of years competing or rides a horse
had completed before you considered the horse's first multi?
 Right now, with a month to go, I'd feel ready to do a moderate 50. How
much more conditioning does my horse need to do five of those in a row?
I already condition in mountainous terrain and have been told by others
who have done the ride I won't be seeing different conditions that what
we're already used to.
 I hate the idea of going with an unprepared horse and if there is any
doubt, I won't be there. But I sure would like to do the ride. I've been
thinking about it since last June.
 Also, a question about using easyboots for multis -- do you leave the
set on for the entire five days? Is it wise to have an complete second
set with you?
 Any help would be appreciated. I need to make a decision fairly soon
for my own sanity. Thanks.

 Louie and Willow
 Montana