Re: woolback vs equalizer

Linda,  Thanks for your great answer, and clarification!  I've learned
something more.   Judy-----Original Message-----
From: Flemmer, Linda <flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu>
To: Judy A. Worley <aussie@aa.net>; ridecamp@endurance.net
<ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Tuesday, May 05, 1998 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: woolback vs equalizer

>Judy A. Worley wrote:
>
>> Linda,  I have to differ with your observation of heat bumps vs. pressure
>> bumps. <SNIP>  The heat
>> and sweat gets trapped with the synthetic pad, which creates much more
>> friction, anyway (just try rubbing your knuckles on it, then compare with
>> wool) It's like plastic.
>
>I'm afraid that you isinterpretted my original post.  "Heat bumps" was the
>phrase used to describe swelling caused by pressure from a too-narrow
saddle,
>usually near the withers, in the pre-historic times of endurance riding.
>(Anybody else remember this?)   I wasn't referring to blistering at all.  I
>agree that synthetic pads are less desireable than natural wool.  I
personally
>use woolbacks whenever possible, and always recommend them to my customers.
All
>horses will sweat under their pads, but good pads will have enough loft and
use
>natural fibers to prevent friction.
>
>It doesn't sound like the heat was directly responsible for the blistering
in
>the pleasure trail rider's case.  Heat alone will not do that unless you
are
>talking high temperatures that cause second & third degree burns.  (Hot
metal,
>flame, etc.)  The blistering was most likely friction of this rider's
synthetic
>pad plus any grit that the sweat brought out on her horse.  (Have you ever
>noticed that it seems like the more grit you brush out, the more there is!)
>Among many other things I get to do, I'm a nurse with advanced training in
skin
>care.  We find that folks can get these types of "burns" from moving about
on
>synthetic sheets in hospitals, too.  This does cross over to the equine.
>
>> I see the benefits of natural fibers to
>> absorb and dissipate, and ventilate heat.  I don't think I would like
>> plastic next to me, fur or not.
>
>I agree.
>
>Linda Flemmer

BEGIN:VCARD
N:PLACE;AUSSIE
FN:AUSSIE PLACE
ORG:SHILOH Australian Saddles
TITLE:owner
TEL;WORK;VOICE:425-788-4880
TEL;WORK;FAX:425-788-7361
ADR;WORK:;;14128 292nd Ave. NE;Duvall;WA;98019
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:14128 292nd Ave. NE=0D=0ADuvall, WA 98019
URL:http://www.aa.net/AUSSIEPLACE/
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:aussie@aa.net
END:VCARD