Cooling horses

I've found that using a lot of really cold water on Racer will stop him from panting. After you quit dumping water the heart rate goes back up. I'm not sure crash cooling gains much because we loose that cooling mechanism. I think it's better to keep to a slower speed & avoid building up a high core temp. He's big & black so I'm pretty cautious about heat anyway. Nancy Mitts