confining horses at rides

I noticed at the ride I just attended that the horses in the pens/corrals,
just stood around and didn't seem to do much 'walking' which is what I
understand is the plus for the pens over tying to the trailer or stake out.
 I need to keep to the "KISS" principle for now, but 'if' and 'when' I can
get 'hard core' for the rides, is there really an advantage that has been
evaluated in a scientific manner for the advantage of the pens over the
tying--excluding the obvious horses that won't tie or try to self destruct
when tied.   Mary Ann. Tx