Re: Rattlesnake Ridge ride - heat and humidity! (kind of long)

In a message dated 98-05-05 12:54:26 EDT, truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< This was studied by a Univ of GA team prior to the 96 games in Atlanta.
 The conclusions is that there are no ill effects of dumping large amounts
 of ice water on a hot horse and this is exactly what they did in Atlanta.

Have never seen a problem with cold water on hot horses, PROVIDED the weather
is hot!  Am amazed how people will do it sometimes almost as a reflex, not
stopping to think what the conditions are.  My rule of thumb?  If I wish
someone would do it to me, then my horse probably would benefit from it.  On
the other hand, if I am still standing there with my jacket on, best to limit
sponging to jugular grooves and insides of thighs and forearms.

Heidi