RE: Horses eating

Karen,
My Morab mare, now 27 and quite healthy, used to do this at rides!  The
night before the ride start, this mare, who really took care of herself,
would lie down in front of a big pile of hay about early evening, before
the sun went down.  She'd munch, sleep, munch...!  It was the funniest
thing to watch, but she was never pulled from a ride and never colicked
(sp.??).  I wouldn't worry about it, Weaver's just conserving his
energy!!

This same mare proceeded to take several flakes of very fine timothy
hay, paw it up, and pee all over it while giving me the dirtiest look a
horse could right after I weaned one of her foals and took away her
alfalfa!!  Who says horses can't talk!!

Barb, Wind Dancer, Whisper (you're talking about me again, mom!) and
Katie