Re: woolback vs equalizer

Judy A. Worley wrote:

> Linda,  I have to differ with your observation of heat bumps vs. pressure
> bumps. <SNIP>  The heat
> and sweat gets trapped with the synthetic pad, which creates much more
> friction, anyway (just try rubbing your knuckles on it, then compare with
> wool) It's like plastic.

I'm afraid that you isinterpretted my original post.  "Heat bumps" was the
phrase used to describe swelling caused by pressure from a too-narrow saddle,
usually near the withers, in the pre-historic times of endurance riding.
(Anybody else remember this?)   I wasn't referring to blistering at all.  I
agree that synthetic pads are less desireable than natural wool.  I personally
use woolbacks whenever possible, and always recommend them to my customers.  All
horses will sweat under their pads, but good pads will have enough loft and use
natural fibers to prevent friction.

It doesn't sound like the heat was directly responsible for the blistering in
the pleasure trail rider's case.  Heat alone will not do that unless you are
talking high temperatures that cause second & third degree burns.  (Hot metal,
flame, etc.)  The blistering was most likely friction of this rider's synthetic
pad plus any grit that the sweat brought out on her horse.  (Have you ever
noticed that it seems like the more grit you brush out, the more there is!)
Among many other things I get to do, I'm a nurse with advanced training in skin
care.  We find that folks can get these types of "burns" from moving about on
synthetic sheets in hospitals, too.  This does cross over to the equine.

> I see the benefits of natural fibers to
> absorb and dissipate, and ventilate heat.  I don't think I would like
> plastic next to me, fur or not.

I agree.

Linda Flemmer