From: Flemmer, Linda <flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu>
To: nrini@yahoo.com <nrini@yahoo.com>; ridecamp@endurance.net
<ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Thursday, April 30, 1998 9:39 AM
Subject: Re: woolback vs equalizer

>> Email: nrini@yahoo.com
>>
>> 1.When used with a SS which saddle pad, the toklat woolback  or the
equalizer keeps the horses back cooler ?

>Coolness is not amajor issue in selecting your pad - all pads will be warm
under a SS since part of it's seat  panels are made up of neoprene (wetsuit
material).  Horses' backs are NOT scalded by excess warmth.  Another old
wives' tale is that lumps on the back are from "heat" (hence term "heat
bumps") - rather, they are from pressure points where a poorly fitted saddle
is pinching.  This causes decreased circulation to the area,
>meaning less nutrition, waste removal, oxygenation...etc.  It can range
from slight swelling to open pressre sores.  Loosening the saddle slowly
does not help.  You are simply extending the time that the saddle cuts off
circulation.  (Sorry - my pet peeve about "heat bumps".)

>I would look for the pad that best suits your need.  Do you need more shock
absorption?  How much loft do you prefer.  I have always preferred natural
wool over synthetic as it doesn't seem to rough up their hair like synthetic
materials do.

>Linda Flemmer

BEGIN:VCARD
N:PLACE;AUSSIE
FN:AUSSIE PLACE
ORG:SHILOH Australian Saddles
TITLE:owner
TEL;WORK;VOICE:425-788-4880
TEL;WORK;FAX:425-788-7361
ADR;WORK:;;14128 292nd Ave. NE;Duvall;WA;98019
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:14128 292nd Ave. NE=0D=0ADuvall, WA 98019
URL:http://www.aa.net/AUSSIEPLACE/
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:aussie@aa.net
END:VCARD