Re: Corrals Vs. Field Trial Stakeout

Well, I had trouble finding it so I copped it and am pasting to the list
again. I must say we've staked out our 45 racing sled dogs this way for
years and the race around at top speed on it never get tangled and never
get hurt. So here it is, I hop you don't mind me re-sending it.

I can't stand it,and so I must type.First,the materials:One junk
truck axle shaft,free,from Joe,your neighborhood mechanic.One junk brake
disc(rotor),free,from Joe.He's going to give you this stuff for free
because you are so kind as to haul your loaded horse trailer around in
overdrive all the time.Pick out a rotor with plenty of "offset",in other
words,one which is "tall" when viewed from the side as if it were a man's
hat.
So much for the free parts.Now go to a real hardcore manly hardware
store.Get a length of coated stainless 3/16 cable 18 inches longer than
your finished length-13&1/2 feet will give you a 12 foot length and a
24foot circle.There's no rope in this rig.Get 2 "U-clamps" and 2 U-shaped
"ferrules",and a "double ring"galvanized steel swivel to go with the
cable.These items will be on display right there with thecable.Next,and
this is the most critical part,get 12 feet of the stiffest hose you can
find. This is NOT garden hose. I used automotive air conditioning
hose,and suggest something even stiffer.Auto heater hose is NOT stiff
enough.Some "commercial" water hose might be okay-maybe.Next item is a
piece of common mild steel rod, 1/4 or 5/16",at least a 24inch
piece.Next,one large bronze snap swivel,emphasis swivel,of the type
you're already familiar with.
			Now,three pieces of simple metalworking must be
done,by you ,or Joe,or somebody.First,if there are any wheel studs in the
end of the axle,drive 'em out with a big hammer &
discard.Second-optional-,grind or cut a crude point onto the end of the
axle.Third,cut a 14" piece from your steel rod,and bend it into  a large
oval shape about 3" x 6",with the open ends of the rod at the end of the
oval. Cut a 7" piece of rod. Weld -or have welded- one end of this rod
into a flat junction with the open end of your oval.DO NOT allow this to
be done with a "Wire-Feed","MIG" welder which is probably the method your
average car mechanic will want to use.It must be done with any other
welding equipment,or it can break.Bend your "handle" up just a
bit.Then bend a small loop of your oval's "handle"up and around one end o
the double-ring swivel,and weld it shut.Go home.You're ready to lace this
thing together.
	Put one of the u-shaped ferrules on the other end of the double
ring swivel,loop the cable around this,and clamp it down with about six
inches excess length.Slide the  other end of the cable through the
hose,and lace up the same way to your bronze snap swivel. Rig your length
such that the length betwen cable clamps is about 1 inch greater than the
hose,with the excess cable ends tucked neatly into the
hose.Oops.Sorry-forgot the washers.Two big washers at each end-over each
two bights of cable and between the hose and the clamps.This thing's got
to spin along its length and swivel at both ends.
	Now you can try 'er out.Pound the axle into the ground after you
place it through the oval-"handle"  facing up and through the rotor-disc
side down.You only need drive it down about 12-14 inches.That's plenty of
hold,but can easily be removed after rocking side to side.C'est tout. Go
get your horse.If you give him hay,scatter the flakearound the outer edge
of the circle..Hay and sticks are  the only things I've seen tangle
'em.You can get one of those "mountaineer" looking big steel oval
snaps,and clip your horse safely to fences or buildings on your cable rig
without the axle&rotor.This is the best rig there is,but do not leave any
elements out.My horse has never once tangled himself up in any way,even
when rolling.Can your  horse roll when tied to a trailer or picket?Can he
walk around to ease his aches & pains?Can you put your set-up in place
instantly in an emergency,anywhere? Build a Field Trial Stake-out. Your
horse will thank you.
Dolores
Braken Schips / Entwood Racing Siberians - Morgans Too!
"Authority without domination, Love without subservience, Respect without
fear"