animals, not machines

Thanks Melanie for excellent comments on John Lyon's method of stopping
a horse from kicking...

I'd just like to point out a different perspective for the people who
seem to think we should be able to control our horses every second under
every situation and stop them at a drop of a hat.

Horses are animals, not machines.  Sure, some horses are 200% well
behaved, maybe NEVER get excited, could care less what is going around
them, doesn't mind getting bumped into and would never get too close to
someone else....but I guarantee that when these horses were younger and
just learning, that they were different animals.  The trainer can be
proud they overcame these obstacles, but I also don't believe that
happens overnight.

At the start of a race, especially, horses get excited.  Yes, the rider
has to train and give their horses cues to help them relax, ask them to
listen, focus their energy, stop a kick from happening...but how to
train a horse in these conditions without having those conditions
exist?   Each animal is different, some may be so excited it takes a few
seconds to get them to listen, to focus on their rider, that is the
nature of riding horses.  The goal of J.Lyon's training, as well as all
NH training, is to communicate with your horse, give the horse
reassurance through cues (and get him to relax), get your horse to
willingly listen to you...but it is not an ignition key to shut the
horses' high spirits or stress off at a flick of a switch.  Sometimes it
takes time to get that horse's mind focused back on you, the rider,
during these events.  It is as simple as that.  If you want immediate
shut down, just go buy yourself a motorcycle and wilderness be damned!

The world is not black and white, and for these ones who believe it is,
well, the best is sometimes in the gray.....

Kimberly "it is still raining!" (&Mystery the Morab.."hey, I can slide
down these hills on my butt")
Pt.Reyes, Ca