retraining kickers

I'm riding a mare that is prone to kick.  She's low on the pecking order,
and very competitive.  Notice I said PRONE.  I also rode a gelding who
would kick.
Here's what I do.  It may help some of yall.. The first time they get
disciplined rather severely.  I chastise them good.  I also am very strict
on "faces" as well.  I don't discipline for faces, unless they overtly
threaten the rider next to us, at first.  After a ride or so like this, I
get tougher, and don't even tolerate the faces.  If you chastise them when
you discipline, then pretty soon, an ears back, and their named said
threatenly, and they wise up.  It is not hard to teach them that herd
behavior is not tolerated in the saddle, just as I would not tolerate
stallion behavior other than in the breeding shed.
The trick here is notice the behavior, correct it, and be consistant.  If
you let something small slide, like threats, it will escalate.
Hope this helps.
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
OK