Re: 15 mile novice ride?

REPLY TO 04/30/98 12:38 FROM ridecamp@endurance.net: 15 mile novice ride?

Hope someone can offer some help!  I've got an 8 year old son who is quite
determined to try an endurance ride.  He's dedicated to "training" for it
but I would like to see if we could find a 15 mile ride for him to get his
feet wet.  Anyone know of such a ride in the SE, MW or even NE?  Thanks!

Susan

--------
Hi Susan,

My daughter did a 25 mile ride when she was 8, and her friend did
two 50's the year she was 9.  IN my situation, I found a very fun
and mostly flat 25, and we spent months conditioning at "endurance"
speed.  I made sure she could both trot and canter confortably and
in control for miles, and had her in both group situations and out
with me.  I think we did several rides of about 18 miles, and over
harder terrain than the ride would be.  So, when we went to the
ride, I was pretty confident she could do the distance.  She was
also repsponsible for watching pulse and respiration, giving mashes
to the pony, cooling her legs, after an ride, and doing an effective
trot-out.

If you can't find a 15 mile ride, don't give up, the 25 might be a
breeze.

Karen

To:  ridecamp@endurance.net