Messy trails at Pt Reyes Nat. Seashore

Riders who like to use PRNS:  be aware that there is a quicksand-like
situation out of Muddy Hollow, going towards Limantour Beach.  It's due
to a lot of water runoff still coming down from Inverness Ridge and
sheeting across this flat, sandy area on its way to the ocean.
   Yesterday a friend and I attempted to use this trail and only got so
far when the footing started to get   v. wet with runoff and "sucky."
While my little horse and I stayed aboveboard OK, my friend and his
bigger horse took a nosedive.    Horse went in above his bellyline,
friend went off, got a hoof graze to the ribs midst all the plunging and
thrashing thru the vegetation.   We both got out of the area  eventually,
and  horse and rider seem to be  OK underneath large amounts of mud.
But it was a very scary situation, and I'd advise riders to avoid this
popular trail to the beach and estero area until it dries out more, and
also to watch for other similar places in the seashore.   I'll keep
watching too.   (:-o)  Connie B.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]