Re: Re: horse pulling back when tied

A small elaboration on your well made points.

Regardless of why a previously tie broke horse starts pulling back, he/she
needs to be RE-TAUGHT to 'come forward to relieve pressure'.

This is what we all do with halter training babies (I hope); as well as in
ponying,  teaching rein aids, yeilding to bit pressure, learning to working
off our leg cues etc..

They do make many virtually unbreakable halters today but be aware the
narrower and smaller the more concentrated pressure.  Many 'ground school'
type disciples today use rope halters and Team uses a halter with chain-But-
most often in a supportive role with an 'active' hand 'releasing' or
'rewarding' to encourage the horse to build confidence and new
habits...(giving to pressure/loss of fear/flight response).

The best last ditch method I've run across is:  a knowledgeable person
operates two ropes at the hitching post/rail/tree etc.  1-a 'butt-rope' (like
you see in pictures that go around baby butts & thru the halter snap ring-20
plus ft).   2-Another long-lead rope is used in conjunction.  The horse is
asked to come forward to the rail & backed away till comfortable.  (Can be
done anywhere there is the opportunity to ask the horse to come forward).
This initial part is done without being tied hard; then gradually taking 3-4
wraps on the rail and then when confident start tying the lead part but
standing aways away where he can operate the long butt rope quietly if
necessary.  When the horse understands the 'give to pressure' idea again, even
when afraid.  He will then begin tying the horse BUT with the 'butt rope' tied
about 6 inches shorter than the tie rope.   So far no injuries and only a few
repeat retraining sessions.

Just another comment for those bags of tricks.  Cindy

I've seen