Re: woolback vs equalizer

> Email: nrini@yahoo.com
>
> 1.When used with a SS which saddle pad, the toklat woolback  or the equalizer keeps the horses back cooler ?

Coolness is not amajor issue in selecting your pad - all pads will be warm under a SS since part of it's seat  panels are made up of neoprene (wetsuit material).  Horses' backs are NOT scalded by excess warmth.  Another old wives' tale is that lumps on the back are from "heat" (hence term "heat bumps") - rather, they are from pressure points where a poorly fitted saddle is pinching.  This causes decreased circulation to the area,
meaning less nutrition, waste removal, oxygenation...etc.  It can range from slight swelling to open pressre sores.  Loosening the saddle slowly does not help.  You are simply extending the time that the saddle cuts off circulation.  (Sorry - my pet peeve about "heat bumps".)

I would look for the pad that best suits your need.  Do you need more shock absorption?  How much loft do you prefer.  I have always preferred natural wool over synthetic as it doesn't seem to rough up their hair like synthetic materials do.

Linda Flemmer