RE: FT Schellborne

  >> Anyone riding the Ft Schellborne this year? I could use some tips on
what to do and the type of terrain the crews go over. What do I have to
look forward to? I would like to do the full 250. JT  >>

This is a great ride and logistically, one of the easier  multi-day rides.
There is only one base camp, so you don't need a driver. The camp
has showers and plenty of horse water.
Base camp is at the Ft. Schellbourne Pony Express Station - with restaurant
and bar and very friendly folks. Lots of riders had dinners there.

Each day is different, but most use some of the same trail getting into
and out of camp. Dave mixes things up so it never really feels like you're
repeating trail though. Some pinion pines and junipers, and some beautiful
alpine meadows. One day we REALLY climbed and spent some time in and
around snow drifts. The country is prettier than I expected. We rode up
(and down) Wild Horse Canyon - heard the wild horses, and saw lots of
droppings, but didn't actually see them.

Each day has one vet check half way through the ride. Ann Nicholson and
crew provide sandwiches or hotdogs and drinks for everyone.

Very pretty, relaxed and well organized ride. Last year there were between 60
and 90 starters each day. Plenty of room in camp, and it's fun being in the
same place each night and getting to know other riders.

Steph