Re: ride names

>I was just wondering (and I might be the only one wondering....)but
>where do some of these ride names come from??

My ride is "Longstreet's Charge"

Our ride is held on Pigeon Mtn. a spur of Lookout Mountain, just south of
Chattanooga, TN.  The entire area is rich in Civil War History.

General James Longstreet was one of Robert E. Lee's most trusted
generals.  His troops arrived by train literally DURING the battle of
Chickamauga (right up the road).  General Hood who'd lost an arm at
Gettysburg literally had himself lifted onto his horse in the boxcar and
rode him as he leaped out.  They arrived just in time to help the South
defeat the Yankees with a decisive charge that broke the middle...Thus
the name, "Longstreet's Charge".

A couple of years later, General Hood took over and was in charge of
stopping Sherman on his march to Atlanta.  On our ride, we ride past a
wide open bluff area with a magnificent view.  The is called "Hood's
Overlook".  Pretty obvious where it got its name.

By the way, a while back I heard of a person who had a tree fall in his
yard.  Way up in an upper branch he found a pair of spurs that had been
hooked over a limb by someone a looong time ago, and never retrieved.  I
have found bullets, a miniball, a part of a spur and a uniform button
cover in my own horse's pasture.

Angie McGhee

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]