re: pulling back while tied (long)

I was unfortunate enough to teach Mystery that if he pulled back while
tied, he could break the lead rope or the halter, several years ago.
All it took was once and he learned the lesson well....

To resolve the problem, we first went through the John Lyon's ground
lessons, especially the lessons that taught the horse to yield to
pressure.  This is most important and should be done until the horse
yields automatically and instantaneously, no matter how long it takes.

Of course, being half morgan and half arab, he is smart enough to know
the difference between being tied to a solid object or a yielding hand,
so when he decided he really wanted to return to pasture or his buddies,
he just pulled back.  Several times I caught him in the act and gave him
a good slap on the rear, sending him forward, but then he waited until I
walked away and you guessed it, pulled back.

BTW, there was no fear involved, just a spoiled, misbehaving horse and
an owner unwilling to clamp down on his sometimes mischieveous
personality...(some things just won't change)..

ok, so here is what I did, and this isn't for everyone, AND there is
potential for abuse so please be careful....

I bought the "be nice" halter.  It tightens and has uncomfortable metal
knobs around the poll when the horse puts pressure on it (ie: pulls
back), and loosens immediately when the horse yields to pressure.

Important: you teach the horse this concept without tying him.  You hold
the other end of the lead line and wait for the horse to pull or step
back for whatever reason, feeling the halter tighten on his head.  Your
previous "yield to pressure" training pops in, the horse lowers his head
and walla, he has learned that to pull back on this halter produces
pressure around the poll.  Do this many times until the lesson is
clear.  Walk him around using this halter and he will learn quickly to
follow your hand so you are leading him with no pressure.

Then, I tied him with the"be nice" halter during the next few weeks with
no problems until he kind of "forgot" his little game of pull back and
run to the back 40 acres. Sometimes I'd use the regular halter,
sometimes the "be nice" halter, and I gave him lots of time just tied
until he accepted that being tied is part of his existance in life.  I
havn't had to use it again in 4 years.  (anyone want to buy a cheap "be
nice" halter?).

Many people don't like this halter because of the potential for misuse.
It goes hand in hand with teaching the horse to yield to pressure.  As
always, try and figure out the root of the behavior..is it fear?  Is it
disobedience?  Is it mis-communication from the handler?  And go from
there.

Also, J.Lyons does a round pen exercise where the horse is tied to the
fence and your body language dictates to the horse to move side to side,
both directions, while tied, so he is automatically yielding to
pressure.  He learns not to pull back, but swing his butt when
disturbed, much safer.  But this is after the previous groundwork
(roundpen exercises, etc) is done.

Good luck!
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab...."ok, lets find something new to test you
with now...")
Pt.Reyes, CA