Lactic Acid Buildup

I am aware of the affects of lactic acid buildup and its impact on long distance human runners (marathon and ultra-marathon).  Lactic acid is a substance which forms in the muscles of humans as a result of the incomplete breakdown of glucose.  Lactic acid is associated with muscles fatigue and sore muscles.  It causes many marathoners to be unable to successfully complete races, or at least eliminates their chances for a good finishing time.

My question is; Does this phenomenon occur in horses as well?  If so, what are the symptoms and possible minimization techniques?

Andrea Steinbock