Horse Pulling Back When Tied

Kat wrote:

"So...what I do (and I have had to do this with MANY horses who have
come
to my place to be taught not to pull back when tied) is to tie them up
a metal hitching post by looping the lead rope (a cotton one) over the
rail 2 or 3 times so that if she pulls back a little bit, she knows she
is
tied.  If she pulls back hard, she comes loose easily--no struggle, no
fight--she just comes loose."

Just want to put a word in.....   At the ranch where I ride and help
out, we have two thoroughbred mares we "tie" this way.  It works exactly
the way Kat described and the girls never get upset unless someone
forgets and really ties them, then they get a little wild-eyed until
someone loosens them up.  These horses are only used for gentle trail
rides with "dude" riders, so otherwise they are very gentle..