Re: horse pulling back when tied

OK, I'll go along with that, and I do agree to some extent that it would
be cruel to just tie up a horse that was truly frightened of being
tied---along with the idea of sacking out horses until they're so
exhausted they let you do anything to them (and I don't mean the NH way
of approach, retreat and reward, I mean the old cowboy way of letting
them fight themselves into terrified exhaustion).

Most of the time, how you describe tying (just a loop or two around with
no knot) is how I tie Cato and if he does go wandering off, it's not a
major catastrophe, he's not going to go far.  However, I can't do this
at rides---he HAS gotten loose in the past (not through breaking
anything, he just untied the knot) and went merrily sailing down the
trail.  He'd already done the fifty the day before, was apparently
putting on a two-day 100 all by himself and when I caught up with him he
was halfway across the river heading for yesterday's out-trail.  He
wasn't frightened, he just thought he'd go for a little joyride, and I'd
be chasing him all over kingdom come if I didn't tie him securely.

I can't speak for anyone else's horse, but Cato doesn't get frightened
(or at least isn't terrorized) when he sets back.  Sometimes he just
bounces around and if he gets brought up short by an unyielding rope,
it'll startle him and he responds by setting back.  If the rope has no
give to it, he continues to fight---not endlessly, but for at least a
few seconds, which is more than I like.  If I have a bungee rope on him,
he doesn't get brought up short, so never sets back against it.

However, I will agree that just letting them fight isn't the best
solution, especially if the horse is truly frightened by something
(including just being tied) and a little education goes a long ways.
John Lyons covers tying very nicely in his videos, including re-teaching
confirmed pullers, and as soon as I get some room to breathe, then
that'll be on the agenda for old Catoface.

Susan