splints

Hi Ridecampers,
My endurance horse developed a splint awhile ago, approximately 7-8 weeks
ago.  This was in his paddock having his yearly 'I'm too busy to ride'
layoff.  He had not been worked for sometime so I can only think that it
came up from him knocking himself.  Anyhow, I have searched the archives to
see that the consensus is generally just to give time off, which I have
done.  What I was wondering, the splint discussion was quite awhile ago, so
does anyone have any new opinions on the matter.  It is a rather large
splint on the inside of his off fore, just below the knee, and at no time
was he lame on it.  The heat seems to have gone out of it so I think it has
settled down, although the first ride I plan to take him to is not until
the start of July so I was going to give him another couple of weeks off,
does this seem like fair rest?  I have done nothing to treat it, just left
nature to take it's course, as I hear it's natures way of toughening horses
legs.  Thanks in advance.

Regards from Western Australia,

Kate