Re: re pulling when tied

Something no one has mentioned about this which works very well.  Stand
there with a long whip.  When your horse pulls back, whip him FORWARD and
tell him to GET UP!  Be careful to be a distance away so you won't get hurt.
I agree with tying to something solid, but not your trailer!  Why?  I've
seen too many hurt horses getting under the trailer.

When I was at Cal Poly, this is what we did to older completely unbroke horses:
Take a rope, tie a bowline around his neck, high up by the ears, run it
through the halter and tie to something very solid, a little higher than
chest height.  We tied to a special cement wall covered in mattresses.  I
use a tree with a mattress wrapped around it at home.
I tie a slip knot around the tree, but you may think a slip knot will save
a horse, but let me tell ya, most of the time they get too tight to undo if
you're in real trouble!  I have had only one horse get in real trouble, and
I had to use some big nippers to cut the rope.    Let the horse fight it;
if they don't fight it, they aren't learning their limits!
I use a small soft nylon rope about 15 feet long.  If I even think any
horse is going to pull back, the rope goes on around the neck and through
the halter (make sure it is through the halter and you've tied a bowline
knot)...at rides, wherever.  Sure saves on the hardware!
Pretty soon they all get the idea, but pushing that horse forward is important.
Hope this helps.
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Arabians
OK