Re: horse pulling back when tied

This is a tough one.  My experience has been "once a puller, always a
puller".  You could try a few things tho.  First, don't tie her to
anything solid.  Use an innertube, or better yet string a rope up
between two trees at least ten feet apart and as high as you can reach
and then tie her to the center of that rope.  If she does pull back she
can't really hurt herself.  You might also try tying with a neck rope
instead of a halter because if she ever learns she can break a halter
and get free you'll never be able to trust her tied.  Or run a rope
around her wither and up between her front legs, then thru the halter,
and then tie her.  Most horses won't pull back with this on.  The
trouble is if they become confirmed pullers thay always seem to know
when they are tied with just a halter.   Good luck.

Susan Jaeger

Pickardville, AB Canada

>From ridecamp@endurance.net Sun Apr 26 09:43:43 1998

JAA04052; Sun, 26 Apr 1998 09:46:47 -0700 (PDT)

>From: "spencer" <spencer@inu.net>

>To: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@endurance.net>

>Subject: horse pulling back when tied

>Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 11:45:34 -0500

>My green broke 9 yo Arab mare still has days when she pulls back all
the

>way on the halter when tied to solid post, etc.  Anyone have any ideas
or

>experience to correct it so we don't look too uncivilized at the
endurance

>rides?  If a pressure is placed on the lead rope or halter she pulls
all