Water Tank-Snails?

I've thought about this,and have decided it would be a bad idea to
put anything in there.As folks have pointed out,the snails are suspected
of being agents of various ailments,and I suspect a goldfish from a  fish
farm carries a few nasty things along when he arrives in the water
tank.This tank is of course a small "system" without all the checks and
balances of a creek,etc.And any fish must poop.So,unless there are other
ideas out there,I'll just have to clean it more often,By the way,this
thing has been a gem.It's a concrete item,about 30' high and 24'sq.Holds
about 7 or 8 gallons,has a covered toilet- type float valve,and the
adjustable heating element is set for about 48 degrees.Research has shown
that horses may not always drink what they need from very cold water.