Pt. Reyes National Seashore Compendium: We can relax "For Now"

Yesterday I read a post from Linda about a draft "Compendium" for Pt.
Reyes National Seashore, (Marin County, CA) that contains regulatory
information on use of this park.  The story spreading around was that
horses were to be strictly limited, if not barred, from present trail
use.   (Many of us  recall how the Drakes Bay 50 was unceremoniously
booted from the park in the mid-1980's.)
    Today (Fri.) I went to PRNS to get a copy of this Compendium  and I
met with Don Neubacher, park superintendent.    The first thing he and
his secretary said to me was, "What's going on?  We are being inundated
with calls about horses being taken out of the park and we have no
intention of doing so!"  ( I thought,  "YAY for Ridecamp!")  We then sat
down and talked.
   What  happened is this.  Section 2.16 (p. 13 & 14) of the plan deals
with horses.  Apparently, the sentence that caused the rumors  is this:
"The maximum string size for parties not spending nights in the park is
25 head of stock on designated routes."     What they *meant* to say was
that if your group is there for a daytime ride in the park and numbers
more than 25 riders, you need to get a special use permit.   Or you can
split the group up and not require a permit.   The permits are easily
obtained, and makes sense in that park administration needs to  what's
going on, and where.
We agreed that I would write him a letter with some suggestions on how to
reword that troublesome sentence.
    We had a good, positive discussion.  Don is pleased with the
equestrian activities in the park (70,000 acres, beaches, ridges,  and
Miles of trails for horse use).  He said that there are almost no
complaints about the horses, and the few they do get are minor.  They are
making a few changes to better accommodate rigs, and an important trail
connection (Texeira) that has been closed for a few years due to downed
trees and damage, is due for clearing and reopening this summer; in fact,
work is progressing already.
    If anyone wishes to review Section 2.16, "Horses and Pack Animals,"
please email me (cberto@juno.com) and I'll gladly  forward it to you.  I
find the regulations to be reasonable and, actually, these regs. have
been in place for several years.  There's very little that is new in
Section 2.16.
    I want to  thank those who lit up the Park's switchboard with those
calls!  YESSSS! Let them know that we are watching!!   BTW, Don said that
the comment period on this draft will be extended beyond May 1.    As I
said, we can relax a bit.   FOR NOW!!    Happy trails (;-) -- Connie
Berto, AERC Trails Committee Chairperson.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]