Re: Pulls at Million Pines

You asked why so many pulls at Million Pines

Several reasons,
1. heat & humidity.  This ride is in the far south.  Many horses come
from points north and still have some winter hair.  The temperature that
day was probably near 80 degrees and the humidity was probably about the
same.

2. Very strict vets.  The vets here tend to be on the safe side...with
good reason.  With this kind of heat & humidity, metabolic problems can
get nasty.

3.  It's one of the first rides of the year...and see above.

4.  Sand.  It's really pretty firm...until you take 138 riders over it,
and half of those twice.  Then it can get a little chewed up.

5.  I think MANY riders underestimate the course.  The fact that it's
flat and seems so easy is VERY deceptive.

6.  I think quite a few people do this for their first ride because it
has such a great reputation as a fun ride.

7.  Wes gives AWFULLY nice awards.  Jackets, etc.  I think some people
get a little worse case of top 10 fever than usual.

I only heard of a couple of horses that were treated.  I heard several
people mention that their horses started tripping in the rear.  Mine did
too.  I think the sand took more out of them than we like to think...Oh
ya, and there was some mud, but it was no problem really unless you
thought you didn't have time to slow down for it.

Angie and Kaboot 14th last year and 15 this year...I'm
falliiiiiiinnnnnnnggggg
On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:41:58 -0400 Cynthia Eyler <eyler@mindspring.com>
writes:
>Why so many pulls at Million Pines?
>-in the 50 mile, 30 out of 68
>-in the 25 mile, 22 out of 68
>
>Cindy Eyler & Jack
>Baltimore MD

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]