soaked beet pulp spoiling

I learned a lesson a couple of weeks ago that I thought I'd share.  Just
about the time the weather warmed up, Lakota suddenly quit eating his
soaked beet pulp mush that he loves so much.  I thought maybe his appetite
went down with the warm weather, maybe since the grass was coming in he
was eating enough of that, maybe....  After a couple days of dumping a
whole pan full of the stuff that he had refused to eat, I realized that
the smell was just a bit off, and realized that with the warmer weather,
the beet pulp was starting to spoil when I mixed it up overnight for
feeding the next day.  So I began soaking it only 1 hour before feeding (I
used shredded, not pellets) and sure enough, he's back to scarfing the
whole mess down and licking the feedpan clean. :)

So, any of you who find your horses losing interest in the beet pulp with
the warmer weather might try mixing it a bit fresher, just in case.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL