high heart rates

This happened to me on the last loop of a 100.  At a walk my horse would read
in the 60's but when he trotted the heart moniter would spike to 168 or higher.
He was feeling great and really wanted to move out but I was afraid to chance
it so ended up walking the entire last loop.  When I got back I noticed my
girth was really loose.  Oh well, better to err on the side of caution and
it was a pretty night.  My horses are half-saddlebred and when I use my
orthoflex saddle I get high readings at the trot on the first loop because they
are hyper and doing the "saddlebred park gait".  When I use my sport saddle
I get normal readings.  Happy Trails,  Kathy, Fox and Travler (but we look so
pretty doing the hyper trot!!)