safety first! (long)

Wow, am I glad Kahlua is going to be ok (the horse that took a tumble at
the WSFR)!  We were caught behind them about 25 horses (and mules) back
and knew it was serious as we kept passing clumps of bandages and
blood.  This trail is narrow and above the American River canyon, there
is no room for error, and no room to fight with a horse that is not
listening....any of that!

Many riders of all types were at this ride and a few safety issues came
up.  First, while everyone was in line waiting to move, it was almost as
if the horses were little cars piled up on the expressway.  Why people
don't keep space between their animals and others is beyond me.  Most
people talked in low voices, kept calm, and I think that helped the
situation, but there are always the few who have to tell the world about
their weekend adventures, speaking louder and louder, not realizing the
horses pick up tension in this way.

Secondly, I myself think it is good horsemanship to slow down after
crossing a stream and allow the following horse to cross so they don't
panick as your horse trots on down the trail.  Each horse had to make
numerous crossing over slippery rocks, a waterfall on one side, the
canyon straight down on the other.  These animal's instincts are to try
and keep up with the horse in front, and yes, we all should train our
animals to ignore a disappearing horse, but that is not the time to test
the training.  Instead, just slow down a few paces until the guy behind
you gets across so that horse doesn't rush and have an accident.

Thirdly,  a narrow, switchback trail, high above a canyon river, during
an organized ride, is not the place to take a dog.  And if you take your
dog, keep your dog with you and your horse...don't allow it to pass you
and travel amongest all the horses in front of you.  WE almost went over
the side when this dog appears out of nowhere directly behind Mystery
and he instinctually kicked out, throwing his rump to the left.  Lucky
the trail was slightly wider at that spot and he listened to my outside
leg pressing him back to the trail.  Where is the common sense in
putting a dog in this situation? (oh, and they got mad that I said
anything about it too!)

Finally, it is rude to gallop your horse down switchback, narrow trails
when you have 20 horses bunched up behind you and all the horses are
stressed and just want to gallop behind you to follow.  Thank God
Mystery listened as I asked him to keep a steady pace and let those
horses go....there was NO ROOM to fight him if he hadn't and it was just
plain dangerous.  Yes, we are able to gallop narrow switchback trails,
but I prefer doing it when I am in control and my horse is not anxious
about keeping up.  If this had happened last year or the year before I
don't know what would have happened in the end, but it was unneccessary
danger because of bad horsemanship.

Oh, when you smoke on the trail, it only takes one spark to set the
forest on fire.....and some of us are there to enjoy fresh air, not your
smoke......

These were just blatant safety issues that occurred only while we were
in line.  I wasn't about to whine or get into any fights with anyone, or
let them ruin my day, but chalked it up to ignorance of basic
horsemanship.  So please, think about other people and other horses when
you are out there.  They are only animals, and we ask alot of them, and
they may not all be bombproof yet.  A benefit ride is one of the places
we attend to give the horse more experience and to support our trails.
We don't go there to be unduly endangered because of ignorance.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.  The wildflowers were outstanding!
The trail was in great shape and wonderful.  The majority of the riders
were good horse people, friendly, and all were concerned with the
outcome of the injured horse first, the way it should be. It was
extremely well organized and the barbaque was excellent!  I would
recommend this "taste" of the Tevis to anyone...it is hard to imagine
doing this ride in the dark (but maybe what you don't see won't hurt
ya!).

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab..."but why are they running for their
lives?!?! I better follow!")
Pt.Reyes, CA