Re: Re Pregnant mares

Hi, Kathy--

If in doubt as to whether your mare is pregnant, have her palpated by a
veterinarian who is familiar with equine reproduction.  That should remove all
doubt.

It is not at all uncommon for at least some mares to show heats at least early
on in their pregnancies.  If you would like a more detailed explanation as to
why they do this, let me know and I will e-mail you privately rather than
writing a lengthy explanation on ridecamp.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)