Re: Reaction to 4 way shot

I just returned for the Western States Fun Ride & it was fun!

It was beautiful weather & the wild flowers were indeed beautiful.

Did have a bit of a problem with my horse though.  She had her 4 way shot 8
days before the ride.  Seemed a little bit out of sorts after arriving at
the ride.  Layed down, which we attributed to the beautiful  sunny day.  She
also didn't want to have the saddle cinched.  This we attributed to the fact
that a friend was, & had been riding her in an OF that didn't seem to fit
real well.  We switched saddles Sat morning & she used one of my saddles.
Had a great ride.  Horses both ate & drank well all day on the trail, but
did not pee.  When I left to get my rig, my mare peed & my friend said it
was like coffee.  She still continued eating well.  We brushed horses & gave
them bran mash after we got back to camp & went to have dinner ourselves.
Then I gave horses another brushing before wrapping legs.  The whole mares
rump, side where she had the shot, was swollen & hard & she was very
uncomfortable.  It was & still is so swollen that there is an indentation
down the middle of her rump.  I called a Vet & he recommended giving 2 grams
of Bute & a dose of electrolytes & doing some slow walking.  She is still
eating well & seems to walk just fine.  When I got home I turned her out in
the pasture with her buddies, but wonder if there is something else I should
do for her.  At the Vet's suggestion, I gave her another gram of Bute before
trailering home today.  Would appreciate any other suggestions.

Pat Fredrickson
Natural Horse Handling Rope Halters
http://www.catechnologies.com/patfred