Re: Question on Bermuda grass hay

Usually, most varieties of hay can be stored for up to two years before
*too* many of the vitamins and palatablity is lost, but ONLY if the hay
is stored *properly*.

This includes being under some form of cover to prevent moisture and
sunlight from degrading the hay too quickly, but doesn't necessarily
require a fully enclosed barn for storage. You should have plenty of
ventilation not only in the barn itself, but some "airspace" between the
bales as well.  You can ask the fella' driving the squeeze to leave a
little space between stacks in your barn if he has enough room.  Gotta
say this safety tip though... scaling the stack and walking across the
top is hazardous to your health if you *forget* about the space between
the stacks!  Please don't fall through... need to encourage more riders,
not lose them to "man (woman)-eating hay stacks" ;-) !

Don't set the stacks directly on concrete flooring (if you have it) ---
the concrete floors CAN hold a considerable amount of moisture, and may
be detrimental to your bottom bales during prolonged storage (I find
that the heavy, dry wood pallets are great for stacking and bottom bale
ventilation, if you avoid the flimsy ones).

The hay must have been cured and baled correctly --- not too high of a
moisture content, no mold, minimal trash (amazing how much roadside
garbage can hold a descent amount of moisture), etc.  Humidity/fog/rain
will degrade the outer surfaces of the hay quickly, but so will
prolonged *hot* temperatures and constant exposure to sunlight.

If you are conditioning for endurance pretty heavily, a general vitamin
supplement may be in order to replace any lost vitamins from stored hay,
but needed by your horse for optimal health.  Just a thought.

Hope it helps...

Kim (and Lee)

Red Horse Technologies
Web: http://www.redhorsetech.com