Re: more on high altitudes

At 11:13 PM 4/17/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Actually, the reason why Cal Poly is doing research on high altitude's
>effect on horses is because horses don't get altitude sickness like
>humans do.  So far we have lots of theories and tons of data, no clear
>conclusions.  So if Vitamin E helps you for altitude sickness, go for
>it.  You-re right, alt. sickness is nasty---the most miserable I've EVER
>been was wrestling with mules at 12,000' trying to draw blood for
>analysis.  Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that was
>sick from the altitude or from having to deal with those d**n mules.:-D
>But anyway, vitamin E is probably not a benefit in horses, at least not
>specifically for altitude adaptation.
>
>Susan Garlinghouse

        I suspect I'd have had less problem with the altitude in Cuzco
(Peru) if we'd travelled as recommended -- through Arequipa at 8,600 ft
instead of flying in from sea level Lima!  (And we'd come from Philadelphia
-- also sea level).

        However, I will say that I felt like SUPER woman when I returned to
Philadelphia after 3 weeks --- besides, with the humidity in the
Philadelphia area summer, I've always maintained that I only got the oxygen
I'd have at 5,000 -- the rest of what I was breathing was water!!!

Barbara