Fwd: First 50 miler advice/high altitudes

-- BEGIN included message

>Ok group, it looks like Blue is totally recovered from him puncture wound
>and good to go on his first 50 in 2 weeks.  If you knew then what you know
>now about going from ld's to 50's what advice would you give me?

Cheryl,

Just a couple more things that I have not seen mentioned.
If the trail comes back to camp ( and most do, especially after 25 miles or
so), it would be a good idea not to take Blue to the trailer for the hold
time........Set yourself up a mini-camp near the vet check area with grain,
hay, water, etc for Blue and food and drinks and a chair for yourself.   That
way he won't think he's done.  If all he's done is limited distance up to now
he'll think his ride is over after 25 miles and may not be real excited about
going back out.  The mental part of endurance is as important for the horse as
it is for you.   If you've been riding with another horse, (or one is leaving
about the same time you are)....try to ride out of camp with another horse.
He won't think he's the only one out there......especially when he sees all
the other horses happily muching hay at camp!!
I made this mistake on my first 50 and had to argue with a cranky mare for 25
miles.......NOT FUN.
Luckily, now  I have a "fool for the trail" who LOVES to leave camp.....with
or without other horses.....but these horses are the exception.

Also the comments about going slow the first 25 are very good.  I usually
check in with the timer near the start of the race and then go back to the
trailer and wait for the hot shoes to leave.  I give them about 10 minutes
head start and then we head out at a leisurely pace......He thinks he's on a
training ride (that is until we catch up to the first horse, then he knows I
fooled him again  :-)

Remember.......don't think of it as 50 miles.......think of it in terms of the
distance of your loops.......e.g.  12 miles,  15 miles,  10 miles,  8 miles,
etc.  (P. S.  this thinking works well for moving up to the 100's also.)
Never think about how far you have to go........just how far to the next vet
check......10 miles is just a training ride, right?

Make sure you drink plenty of water.
Have fun.   Remember we are doing this for fun.  We train long hours, drive
LOTS of hours, pay good money......so it sure better be fun  :-)

Cindy Bell
Southeast Region

-- END included message