Re: Radios, et.al. and similarities

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Cheryl Newbanks wrote:

> >so the use is just make the horse relax and keep loose  and not mask a
> >real problem.
> >

> I totally agree with Roger on this one, magnetic therapy, bio scan, ultra
> sound, even massage therapy won't mask a horse that is in pain or a horse
> that is in real trouble.  They are not a cure all or instant fix, the
> alleviate some of the pain but only for a short period.

Horses generally manifest pain in such subtle and virtually invisible ways
that to use a therapy that reduces this pain for even a short period of
time at the vet check, and then to continue on down the trail could indeed
be detrimental to the horse.

> Roger said:
> they dont fix stone  bruses
> suspension lameness
> colic
> exhuastive horse synd
> tieing up
> thumps

No, they don't fix these things....but they can reduce the acute symptoms
(i.e. make the horse more comfortable) to the extent that a foolish person
might be deceived into thinking that the horse is fixed, present the horse
to the vet....who also sees a horse that appears quite comfortable...and
then continues on down the trail with a stone bruise, pulled suspensory,
incipient colic, exhausted horse, horse tying up, a thumping horse....

Generally speaking, all of these "alternative therapies" are "work" by
making the horse more comfortable...so it can rest properly and recover
more quickly.

If we use these to make our horse more comfortable so we can then continue
down the trail...the point is lost...the point being to rest and recover.

kat
Orange County, Calif.