varied - LONG

I would like to throw in my 2 cents worth on a couple of subjects.
I had to tranquilize a horse to haul him and what the vet pointed out was that
I couldn't continue to do this so why not take the time to teach him? I have a
very strong bias for the John Lyons methods as I taught a horse to calmly get
in ANY kind of trailer without food, with or w/o another horse, etc. in about
a total of 4 hours (split between 2 days). I now can now load/unload anywhere,
anytime and have a calm-riding horse. Don't forget that at some point you
might have to be trailered out of a vet check after being pulled and your
horse has to be able to get into any kind of rig. This also relates to the
"how far will you haul- do you unload" discussion. I won't haul more than 8
hours a day and always unload halfway thru so he can clear nose,pee,stretch
legs and possibly drink. If your horse ALWAYS gets back in the trailer as soon
as you ask there will be no problem. I do have a question - Do any of you have
water available while hauling  and if so how do you secure the bucket? I have
a slant load and haven't thought of a way to do it without having water all
over the floor.
I am currently not doing any distance riding as I am TRYING to retrain this
horse using the John Lyons methods. My horse would use 75% of his energy in
the first 15-20 miles pulling on me and being an emotional wreck. Tried
starting 20 mins. after the start but was only marginally successful. He
doesn't care to stay with a group, he wants to catch the ones up ahead! That
gets him up with the leaders but then he starts to tire. I want a horse who is
consistent with his energy output as that is safest for him-as well as being
the one to determine how fast to take sand, rocks, etc. I am getting progress
but it is slow as this horse spent 100's of miles doing it HIS way. I also
think the emotional strain used up a certain amount of energy that I would
like to harnass. I will not consider using another bit or some gimmick so
don't bother to answer with those kind of suggestions to me.
The heart rate monitor is a great tool for training and during the ride. It
will NOT help you win a ride but it can help you use your horse's energy
effeciently and more importantly, if there is a problem brewing. But you have
to use it on a regular basis to know when your horse is above normal.