Re: More: Electrolyte/Probiotic questions

Truman Prevatt wrote:

> At 02:24 AM 4/16/98 EDT, you wrote:
> >In a message dated 98-04-15 22:40:37 EDT, horsetrails@inficad.com writes:
> >
> ><< then using the cheaper electrolytes
> > at home. >>
> >
> >In my experience, using electrolytes at home prevents the horse from becoming
> >efficient in conserving them.  I would only use electrolytes after a SEVERE
> >training ride in hot or humid weather.
> >

> At a distance riding clinic given in hot, humid FL Jeannie Waldron
> responded something like this.  Routine use of electrolytes - particularly
> the Ca++ will prevent the horse from developing the adaptation to draw on
> his reserves.  Her suggestion was to give the horse free choice loose salt
> with maybe lite salt mixed but not electrolytes.  Save the electrolytes for
> the ride.
>
> Truman

I think this sums it up for me as well regarding electrolytes.  I don't
even bother with the lite salt at home because given sufficient forage,
there's plenty of potassium available there, but I do provide plenty of
loose salt.

Regarding the probiotics, I'm not familiar with Super Horse but I have
noticed that there are alot of products on the market that add tiny
amounts of whatever nutrient is currently "hot", so they can advertise
it as such---biotin and probiotics being the most common.  To overfeed
probiotics, you'd probably have to really pack it in, pounds and pounds,
so I wouldn't worry about that.

When I do buy a probiotic, I look to see what species of bugs are
included.  If it's just Lactobacillus (like in yogurt), I'm not
particularly interested---if there's a big upset in the gut,
Lactobacillus is the species most likely to survive and flourish, at the
expense of other species, so it's the OTHER species I'm more interested
in, ie Streptococcus, Oryzae, Saccharomyces and other yeasts, etc.  My
personal favorite is Fastrack, I have seen good results in otherwise
hard keepers with that, and have been able to reduce feed and still
maintain condition (and y'all just KNOW I'm a fanatic about maintaining
nutrition records :-D).

BTW, Valley Vet Supply has a truly great price on Fastrack, $15 for five
pounds (no, I don't get a commission).  The normal price at my feed
store is around $25.

See ya,

Susan Garlinghouse