Ld's & 50's

>If you knew then what you know
>now about going from ld's to 50's what advice would you give me?

That's easy.  That the horse is much more capable at doing this than I am!
<g>

The most important thing...do what you feel/think is right in regards to
your horse.  Even if you have friends that think they know more than you
do.  Of course that depends upon your friends...sometimes you should
listen...and sometimes not. ;^)  Say for instance you are in a vet check.
You've been there for fifty five minutes and your horse finally starts to
eat well.  Your out time is in five minutes.  But you don't care, your
horse wants to eat and you think that is just great. ;^)  It's your horses
first 50 so you aren't racing anyway, right?  So you hang out a few more
minutes and let him eat...meanwhile, you are pissing off your riding
partner who is waiting (impatiently) for you to get a move on.  Ride your
own ride - don't be influenced by anybody else!

And not least...know your horse.  Become familiar with how to take vitals
(not just HR)...and do it on training rides and actual endurance rides.
Know what normal gut sounds are for your horse...along with all other
vitals.  Get a stethoscope and use it.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville, NV