Stonewall saddles

Since I got lots more private replies than public ones, and since several
people asked me to share private replies with them, I cut'n'pasted a
Stonewall FAQ right here for your collective enjoyment. :) For the most
part, this saddle got rave reviews (I believe the only two negative
remarks are right up front), and the general consensus is that the balance
is centered, good for endurance, etc.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL

---------------------

About 8 years ago I bought a high pommel Stonewall which was put
my legs back too far and turned out to be too narrow for my
horse.  I know a number of locals who have Stonewalls and it
seems to be a very individual thing whether or not they fit. Some
swear by them and others swear at them!

                                   ***

I had a couple of Stonewall saddles in the past. Like many other
endurance saddles, it is no more than a tree that has padding on
the underside.  Very simple, but I don't believe it is very
comfortable for the horse, unless you happen to have a horse that
has an exact replica of the tree for its back!  My mare would
always go downhill sideways because it hurt her shoulder.

                                   ***
both [name] and I use the Stonewall for years on all our horses.
I don't know what the catalog says but they are centrally
balanced, ie if the horse were taken away you would be standing
straight up on the ground, that is if you are riding in a
balanced centered position to begin with.

                                   ***

I finally read the digest - Stonewalls are supposed to be
comfortable (have dense pad under THEIR seat) but don't last
long. One of my mentors rode in one - he also rode dressage and
he liked it. I don't know why it says forward seat on there
because I don't think that is accurate - you are right, that is
contradictory.

                                   ***

a friend of mine was nice enough to let me borrow one for about a
year (no she won't sell it I've tried!)  It was wonderful ! Her's
is 10 years old and still extremely comfy.

Rider side-- the seat is wide, it goes from the side of one hip
all the way around to the other the cantle is very high with
loads of support. the fenders are weatern style (like the OF
traditional's) your legs keep very dry.  it uses a western girth
also (we put off billets on either side for fast buckling) loads
of rings however it doesn't have a center ring for the crupper so
you have to buy a special attachment.  Seat is very balanced your
feet are directly under your shoulders --- you tend to ride with
longer stirrups since you are so straight which really helps you
feel more comfy after lots of miles.  the seat is absolutely flat
--no rise at all so your sitting area is flat on the horse
instead of your butt, my boyfriend will only ride in this saddle
because there is no rise to squash his --well you know.

horse side---the saddle is custom made for each horse --sometimes
you get lucky and a used one fits well. (the one I borrwed was
made for a horse with a very similar back)  the saddle is made
FLUSH to the horses back it has a air channel on the spine --this
saddle is great for horses who don't have a straight back
(crooked or slanted off the withers) there's not many good custom
saddles out there for $500 new it has a cutback portion which
allows the saddle to sit more forward on their back and gives a
good range of motion for the neck--the cutback is not the
traditional cut it looks like those new winter blankets, cut to
the withers then back out to distribute weight to the shoulders.
It is rigged really different from other saddles but very
smartly.  (I'm going to try this tell me if I lose you) One long
nylon strap starts at the back of the saddle goes to the ring
that holds your off billet (this holds the back of the saddle
down) does a loopy thing over that ring then back to the back of
the saddle and does the same on the other side. Our horse was
built a bit weird and most saddles would dig into her elbows with
this saddle you can shorten that piece of nylon (they call it
cross rigging) and move your girth to and from the elbow.
$$$$$$--the saddle new custom for your horse is around $500.  we
bought a western pad to fit a barrel racing saddle for it (fits
perfectly) you can get those in all different colors for under
$20 the special attachment for the crupper is about $15 and you
can use whatever breast strap you are using now.

very little care require--leather is minimal and most is flat
--no tooling to catch dirt the company will send you replacement
parts to anything you can break or wear out on the saddle--they
will re-leather it for you too the saddle we used had 2,000
endurance miles on it --god know how many training miles.  the
nylon strap has been replaced once (the holes finally gave up and
ripped) the stirrup "leathers" covers (western style) simply wore
through (yep actually wore holes thru leather) and had to be
replaced (so the rider would stay dry) no other breaks or
replacements -- all the weight bearing riggin (cross rig strap,
stirrup "leathers") is heavy duty nylon not leather.

                                   ***

This saddle is a center-balanced seat (like a dressage saddle).
It is "forward" as opposed to a typical western saddle that sits
to the rear with the stirrups in front of you.

I borrowed a friend's - well balanced, comfortable.  Moderately
good leather (better than a SS, not as good as an OF).  Very much
along the lines of a McClellan

                                   ***

I was wondering when someone would ask about the Stonewall
saddle;

I absolutely LOVE my two....the cutback (301) no longer made, and
my newer 401 (I think that's the model); regardless, they both
fit and ride in a secure and balanced manner across any terrain,
and are comfy from day one!

I'm not sure what is meant by the "forward" term, but this saddle
puts you in a balanced position with your legs hung properly
under you. It is comfortable at all gaits, with or without
fenders...I cover the "leathers" with the tubing from my Sports
Saddle, and secure them with black electrical tape...works great
for me.

                                   ***

I have a friend that loves her Stonewall and won't ride any other
endurance. I've cc: your message to her in hopes that she will
email you and tell you what she thinks.  Yes, it is a seat that
centers you and is a very light saddle.  I prefer a Marchiante
myself...we've all been through the "quest for that perfect
saddle routine" with our horses.  I like the Marchiante
because it is     COMFORTABLE    , light weight, centered ( I can
stand or sit all day and never get a back ache), I'm never tired
after an endurance event.  Have done 50's and 70 in it and just
love it....

                                   ***

I have riden in a Stonewall.  It was fine.  It was nice having
the adjustable rigging.  I wouldn't mind owning own.

               ***

I had a stonewall and sold it. It was not wide enough for my
Arab's back. The seat ws deep and comfy for me, but definitely
not as comfortable for my feet, knees and back as my Aussie is.

                                   ***

I rode a Stonewall for years until I got a Sport Saddle last
fall.  I own 3 Stonewalls and eight of my students/friends have
purchased them also, after riding mine.  The *english* style
Stonewall is perhaps easier to ride because at the posting trot
your thighs bump the pommel on the other models.  However, if you
ride a horse that shies wildly as I do you might  like the
stability of the high pommel.

If you are used to a dressage saddle then the balance will be
entirely different.  I did find that I had to work at first to
find my place in the Stonewall.  As a Centered Riding instructor,
balance is the god I seek, and it is quite possible, though not
automatic, in this saddle.

The seat is wide and, to me, very comfortable.  Every student I
put into the saddle says Ahhhhhhhhh  when they settle into it the
first time after riding traditional english saddles.

I do hate the rigging it comes with and changed to single leather
billets.  I use  biothane stirrup straps and a variety of
stirrups.  The fenders on some of the newer saddles are
unnecessarliy stiff and I have had replacement fenders made.  Or
you could do without.

Having said all that, I LOVE my sports saddle and will not go
back to Stonewall unless I need to accomodate a horse for some
reason.  The stirrups on the SS are set back by 1 1/2 inches and
allow me to get and keep my leg more easily down and around my
spooky twinkle-toed guy.

                                   ***
Yes it is easy to come out during a UST attack, but you learn
quick -- my horse has use of one eye and no horse ever spooks
more !!

Someone posted on ridecamp--riding in the mtns and said she rode
the OD with one.  I live in Va the OD area is our training
trails, we go every other weekend around 20 miles.

Wonderful back and hip support--- I have an OF and the support is
nothing compared to the Stonewall

I also used a 301 english looking seat the closest thing they
make now is the 401 with a pommel.

                                   ***

P.S. I still think the price is great--I paid $1200 for a used OF
that isn't near as comfy.

                                   ***

I am riding in a Stonewall saddle at the moment and I must say
that I like it! Got to admit that I took the fender off to have
more flexibility in the movement of my legs, which makes the
saddle even lighter <one great point about Stonewalls, they are
LIGHT!!>.

I would not agree that -at least- the model I'm riding in is a
"forward seat" and I agree with you that the two statements given
by the company are sort of contradictory.....
Riding a walking horse in my saddle almost feels like the
stirrup-leathers are placed too far backwards, funny feeling, but
as soon as you trot along the feeling in the saddle is very nice,
well balanced. I have had some knee problems in some other
saddle, but in this one - maybe because of the backwards placed
stirrup-leathers - no problem at all over 50 miles. The seat with
the funny looking pommel <front part!/ right voc.?> gives you a
secure feeling and so far the saddle fits quite a few of the
horses I'm riding. Seems like it fits Arabs just fine!
It is a short saddle so you can avoid rubbing on the loins
completely!!

If you asked me-----give this one a try!!!