Re: hitech

>Actually, "extreme" skiers use these things all of the time(you know,
>those guys that go out in the wilds of the mountains in the dead of winter
>just after a heavyt snowfall, to get to the "good powder"), and outfits
>that do helicopter skiing tours require all of their clients to wear one
>when they get dropped off in the middle of nowhere.
>
>I don't know the regulations for getting them, etc (you may have to have
>some kind of license or something), but they are available to more than
>just the military.

These are emergency beacons.  The put out a signal which rescue teams  DF
(direction find) to.  That is they carry receiving devices that home in on
the beacons.  These devices don't use GPS fixes yet.  They are very simple,
reliable, cheap and will work when GPS is out of view - like under feet of
snow.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
Little Stormy - "She wasn't with us long - but boy will we miss her"
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL