Re: Prompting

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:44:40 -0500, Roberta Jo Lieberman
<fineprint@erols.com> wrote:

>Think of it this way: the rider who is so busy monitoring heart rate,
>temperature and communicating with his pit crew via satellite dish is
>much more likely to step in a hole or miss a turn. The "competition" is
>between you and your horse and the trail. Keep using the best tool you
>have -- common sense. Learn to ride your own ride, and let the trail
>decide the rest.

Exactly why I prefer not to carry a radio even when I own one.  I
don't feel that anyone who wishes to use one is gaining any
significant advantage over me by doing so.  Which is one reason why I
think it's foolish to have rules against it.  I think the fewer and
simpler rules the better, so why have rules against something that is
a non-problem?

BTW, to the folks who made the humorous comments about an antenna in
the tail:  the first ride that I carried a radio (in 1977, as a drag
rider) we didn't have the nice light hand-helds.  I used a pair of
saddlebags, with a battery pack in one, a two-meter HAM rig in the
other, and an antenna attached to the back of the saddle!  This was
before I began wearing a hard-hat, and when I would duck under a low
branch the antenna would spring back and smack me in the back of the
head.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net